Friday, August 28, 2009

My Latest Project!

A couple of weeks ago I told you about some fantastic fabric dolls I had seen on TV made by Patti Culea. The website where you can see her dolls is here.
Well, I decided to attempt to make my own version, so last week I started out cutting the pattern out of muslin, sewing it together, and painting the body
with watered down acrylic paint.
Then I painted on the face and a body suit.
Next I just started freelancing with material, hand sewing on long strips of fabric, ribbon and putting beads around the neckline and strings of beads on the dress and around her long lovely neck. Then came her hair tied up with cloth covered pipe cleaners and ribbons and the final touch, long "diamond" earrings. She took me many odd hours and I learned 2 major lessons, 1 don't use a gel pen to trace the pattern...it bleeds thru the paint. And second, fingers and hands are HORRIBLE to sew and turn. Mine look like they are full of arthritis! :)
.
Gary and I gave each other "street names" the other day. Mine is Booker and I think that is what I will name my doll. She is the younger free spirited wild and crazy me.
What do you think? Does she look like me??

4 comments:

peg said...

She's beautiful!! Looks very much like the ones on the website. I'm sure you will find ways to make them easier and better as you make more!
Love ya!

Damon said...

I could totally see you doing wearing that if Dad wasn't soooo conservitive.

Mystial Batwoman said...

LOOOOOOVE IT! way to go. Can't wait to see what else comes out of that creative brain of yours.

Delsa said...

She's adorable! Love her! I just knew that you would try your hand at making dolls, after seeing them on your link! lol Love your willingness and desire to try new things!!!