Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Working Ahead

We have been working like crazy for the last month to get our house and property all ready for a family reunion which was going to take place in 2 weeks.
We have and still are painting our old weathered barn and sheds a lovely "barn red" and we have moved plants, planted grass and potted flowers.
We have painted inside, 2 bedrooms, one "Cougar" room and cleaned carpets and organized closets and shelves.
I have also been cooking ahead. At least 20 dozen cookies, 2 batches of brownies, cupcakes, enchiladas, lasagna, and other casseroles.
We have bought packaged snacks and game prizes and fun stuff for the grandkids.
These are all things that have needed doing regardless of any gathering of family and/or friends so I am very glad they are done, even though I am pretty much exhausted every night and my sweet hubby looks worn out all the time.
Then on Sunday, we found out that the "big" reunion was a wash-out. None of Gary's brothers or sister would be coming for a number of reasons. Sadness? Relief? Disappointment? I guess all of the above. I had been really looking forward to seeing everyone and have them all see where and how we live, but boy what a lot of work and preparation for one day of visiting!!
Our son and his family will be coming anyway, in fact our daughter-in-law and the grandkids will be here for a week ahead of our son coming and so all of the advance planning will make it much more fun as I will be able to relax and play with the kids instead of slaving in the kitchen.
I have found out that cooking two meals at once and freezing one for later is just as easy as cooking one meal.
I have found out that the yard looks much nicer and is far easier to maintain now that the work is done. I love the paint jobs inside the house and boy did those rooms need it!!
So nothing was wasted time or effort.
We should not be prideful of our homes and possessions. We should keep what we have in good repair and looking nice, but we shouldn't ever want to "show off" what we have. Our home is nice and very comfortable but it is not a mansion or fancy. Our home is livable, a place to relax and enjoy each others company. It is and always will be a place where our family can come and feel "at home"

4 comments:

peg said...

now your work is done and you can sit with your feet up and enjoy your family!

peg said...

I went from a four bedroom, two bath, living room, family room with large front and back yard to a 24x60 2 small bedroom mobile home with no yard space and guess what...my kids and grandkids still want to hang out here! It's not the difference in the houses that matters, just the "home" they are in. :)

Anonymous said...

I was so looking forward to our visit and time of sharing with each other. Been awhile since I have seen many from the family. So sorry that you had worked so hard, but I know what you mean about having the work all done etc. Such a good feeling isn't it? I'm sad, for many reasons......but hopefully, there will be another time in store for us. We will keep good thoughts about it, for sure. Where there's a will, there's a way!!!! Enjoy your family, and I will be with you in my heart! Hugs

Delsa said...

Well, 'Anonymous' hit the wrong ID to publish her comment. Imagine that!!!! Silly me.
I'm sure your home is lovely.....if those living there, and the love that abides there, is any indication.....I can only imagine!
There's no place like Grandma and Grandpa's home for a good time!!!!!
More Hugs,